This workshop has been postponed. Please stay tuned for the new date and time!
This workshop, presented by startup attorney Adam Nyhan of Opticliff Law, surveys the most important legal issues that startups should address in their critical early stages when legal budgets are small but decisions can have important future effects on the company. We’ll separate the truly important legal issues from the ones startups can postpone until their budget grows. Attendees will leave with checklists and reference materials to keep for future reference.
- Ownership of intellectual property
- What to know about including volunteers and freelancers in the founding team
- Whether and when to form a company
- How to design the company for growth and possible investment
- How non-disclosure agreements (NDA), and non-compete agreements with a founders’ previous employers can cause problems for a new startup, and how to resolve those potential problems
While this workshop is designed especially for technology startups (companies making software or hardware), it is still relevant to more traditional small businesses in their early stages.
*Please note this workshop will be held at the Marine Trade Center, where CEI’s Portland office is located, at 2 Portland Fish Pier in the second floor conference room.
- Feb3February Biz Fit: Let’s Get PhysicalWhether you work outdoors, in a gym or kitchen, or pull lobster traps – What are the pros / cons of physical work? What do…
- Feb6Home Buyers Education Live Webinar February 6 7, and 8th from 6-9 PMCoastal Enterprises, Inc. (CEI), a nonprofit community development organization, with the support of Maine State Housing Authority, will offer the Homebuyer Education class in a…
- Feb7The Purpose of PinterestIn this interactive 1-hour virtual workshop, WBC Social Media Consultant Katie Kelley will explain how Pinterest can be used to generate traffic to your website…
- Feb8Propeller Pop-UpJoin the CEI Women’s Business Center and fellow Propeller alumnae for a get-together. You’ll have an opportunity to practice your pitch, network with other alumnae,…