This workshop is designed to address key legal issues to consider for small business owners. You will discuss questions such as
- When is it time to incorporate rather than do business under my own name?
- Should I be an LLC, partnership, sole proprietorship, or a corporation?
- If I do business in multiple states (or hope to later), should I incorporate in Maine or elsewhere?
- If I’m a software or tech company, do I really need to incorporate in Delaware, as I keep hearing I should?
- What if I am doing business with one or more partners?
- What should I know about choosing a partner or co-founder?
- Since I don’t have cash flow yet, is it okay to staff my business by using contractors/freelancers rather than employees?
- (Time permitting) Naming your company & trademark basics: When and how should I be thinking about making sure there’s not another company already using the name I picked for my business, and how can I “claim” that name so others can’t use it?
There will be a 45 minute Q & A session following the workshop presentation by attorney Ezekiel Callanan of Opticliff Law.
Opticliff Law, LLC is a Portland-based law firm for people starting or growing their business(es), with a focus on trademarks, business transactions, contracts, securities exemption and other legal matters for startups.
When: Tuesday, November 29, 9:00-10:30am
Where: Portland Public Library, Meeting Room 4
- Dec7Tax Prep for Small Business with an IRS ExpertGet ready for tax season with Nancy Feliciano, Stakeholder Liaison, at the Internal Revenue Service Communications & Liaison office. In this 1-hour webinar, Nancy will…
- Dec7Disadvantaged Business Enterprise Certification 101Each year, the Federal Government awards about 10% of all federal contract dollars to Small Disadvantaged Businesses. In this 1-hour workshop, Leesah Patt, Disadvantaged Business Services…
- Dec7Owning and Managing Rental Properties December 7th, 2022The will be held as a live webinar This 2.5 hour seminar on December 7th, 2022 from 6:00pm – 8:30pm has been approved by Maine…
- Jan6January Biz Fit: Is Maine-Made a Good Fit For Your Business?Are you ready? Do you Qualify? Our January guest speaker is Tammy Knight, Program Manager for Maine Made. Maine Made is a program offered through…