This workshop is designed to address key legal issues to consider for small business owners. You will discuss questions such as
- When is it time to incorporate rather than do business under my own name?
- Should I be an LLC, partnership, sole proprietorship, or a corporation?
- If I do business in multiple states (or hope to later), should I incorporate in Maine or elsewhere?
- If I’m a software or tech company, do I really need to incorporate in Delaware, as I keep hearing I should?
- What if I am doing business with one or more partners?
- What should I know about choosing a partner or co-founder?
- Since I don’t have cash flow yet, is it okay to staff my business by using contractors/freelancers rather than employees?
- (Time permitting) Naming your company & trademark basics: When and how should I be thinking about making sure there’s not another company already using the name I picked for my business, and how can I “claim” that name so others can’t use it?
There will be a 45 minute Q & A session following the workshop presentation by attorney Ezekiel Callanan of Opticliff Law.
Opticliff Law, LLC is a Portland-based law firm for people starting or growing their business(es), with a focus on trademarks, business transactions, contracts, securities exemption and other legal matters for startups.
When: Tuesday, November 29, 9:00-10:30am
Where: Portland Public Library, Meeting Room 4
- Propeller IIPropeller II is designed for women who have participated in Propeller and wish to take their tech start-up idea to the next level. Propeller II…
- Propeller I (April-May)Tech for everyone should be made by everyone. Female entrepreneurs continue to face unique challenges in starting and growing businesses and these challenges are amplified…
- Apr14FocusME Spring 2021: Wednesday 8:30am CohortThe CEI Women’s Business Center and the Portland SCORE Chapter are collaborating to host FocusME, a series of peer groups for female entrepreneurs. FocusME is…
- Apr14FocusME Spring 2021: Wednesday 11:00am CohortThe CEI Women’s Business Center and the Portland SCORE Chapter are collaborating to host FocusME, a series of peer groups for female entrepreneurs. FocusME is…