This workshop is designed to address key legal issues to consider for small business owners. You will discuss questions such as
- When is it time to incorporate rather than do business under my own name?
- Should I be an LLC, partnership, sole proprietorship, or a corporation?
- If I do business in multiple states (or hope to later), should I incorporate in Maine or elsewhere?
- If I’m a software or tech company, do I really need to incorporate in Delaware, as I keep hearing I should?
- What if I am doing business with one or more partners?
- What should I know about choosing a partner or co-founder?
- Since I don’t have cash flow yet, is it okay to staff my business by using contractors/freelancers rather than employees?
- (Time permitting) Naming your company & trademark basics: When and how should I be thinking about making sure there’s not another company already using the name I picked for my business, and how can I “claim” that name so others can’t use it?
There will be a 45 minute Q & A session following the workshop presentation by attorney Ezekiel Callanan of Opticliff Law.
Opticliff Law, LLC is a Portland-based law firm for people starting or growing their business(es), with a focus on trademarks, business transactions, contracts, securities exemption and other legal matters for startups.
When: Tuesday, November 29, 9:00-10:30am
Where: Portland Public Library, Meeting Room 4
- Home Buyers Education Live Webinar January 2019Coastal Enterprises, Inc. (CEI), a nonprofit community development organization, with the support of Maine State Housing Authority, will offer Homebuyer Education class, a 1 day course,…
- Oct22FocusME: Growth Stage Business Peer Group, Spring 2019 (8:30am start)The Women’s Business Center at CEI and the Portland SCORE Chapter are collaborating to host FocusME, a series of peer groups for female entrepreneurs. This…
- Oct22FocusME: Early Stage Business Peer Group, Spring 2019 (11:00am start)The Women’s Business Center at CEI and the Portland SCORE Chapter are collaborating to host FocusME, a series of peer groups for female entrepreneurs. In…
- Oct22The Business of Women: Book & Discussion GroupDo you have a business idea? Just getting started? Need to grow or refresh your business? Do you like to read and want to get…