CEI’s Sustainable Agriculture and Food System Program provides technical and financial assistance to farms and food-related businesses in Maine and the northeast. Food system lending at CEI has resulted in over 295 direct investments totaling more than $15 million. In the past 5 years, food system lending created or retained 323 jobs and kept 6,773 acres of farmland in production.
- Support robust farm and food-related businesses and connect to local and regional markets for Maine producers;
- Create jobs and build wealth in rural communities;
- Ensure access to local, fresh and healthy foods for all people.
Free Business Counseling
- Team-based business planning to develop investment-ready business plans
- Leverage resources and networks
- Provide sector expertise
- Flexible debt; Lines of credit; Equity and equity-like financing; Guarantees
- Amounts from <$10,000 to >$500,00 or more
- Coordinate multiple sources of capital
- Healthy food access for underserved populations (Healthy Food Finance Initiative)
- State and federal policy and advocacy networks
- Strategic collaboration with regional and national farming and food organizations
- Food-related “value chain” businesses such as food processors, distributors, and value-added manufacturers;
- Rural food retailers, such as independent grocers or local food markets.
Contact us to grow your business today:
Gray Harris, Director
Off-farm value chain and retail businesses