Loans and Investments that Meet the CEI Mission
Considering the Triple Bottom Line
CEI's mission guides our loan and investment decision-making. That is, we loan or invest in businesses that economically contribute to the community, that offer livable wages to employees or ownership opportunities to the borrower, and are environmentally responsible. We call this 3E or Triple Bottom Line investing. Click here to read CEI's Three E Investing Profile.
- Equity: Provides an opportunity for disadvantaged groups to access information, housing, financial resources, or livelihoods/employment.
- Environment: Results in a positive impact on the natural environment by reducing energy use, waste, pollution or material use, or by improving stewardship of natural resources.
All of our financing activity is measured by the social impact of each project. For example, we are interested in projects that, with CEI financing, will lead to:
- positive change for the borrower, particularly people with low incomes or limited resources, women or minority-owned businesses, veterans and the disabled,
- creating refugee or immigrant entrepreneurs and
- projects that will help those unemployed, or seasonally employed, gain full-time self employment.
CEI looks to invest in businesses that:
- plan to hire new employees in "quality jobs" (with benefits, a living wage, healthy and safe working conditions, opportunities for growth and advancement)
- hire low-income workers in "quality jobs"
- hire disabled workers in a supported employment program
- hire participants from CEI's special projects and/or training systems
- train/hire/apprentice local youth
- improve part-time or seasonal positions to full-time or year-round employment or
- operate community facilities, such as child care or assisted living centers that serve low-income people.
CEI is committed to helping businesses succeed while preserving the quality of Maine's environment. We encourage all of our borrowers to identify the ecological aspects of their businesses, and to work with us in developing practices that benefit both the environment and the company's bottom line. We have a strong interest in financing businesses that generate products, provide services, and/or develop processes for the farms, forestry, fishery or renewable industries, and who follow environmentally sustainable best practices.