CEI offers business financing and technical support for a wide range of small business, community facility, affordable housing and mixed used real estate projects and ventures. With flexible business financing, loans, investments, rates and terms, CEI is able to leverage its capital with other sources, primarily banks, at a 1:3 ratio.
Since its first major investment in 1979 in a value-added, community-owned fish processing facility in midcoast Maine, CEI has provided $556 million to 2,040 businesses, community facilities, and affordable housing throughout Maine, leveraging over $1.5 billion in high impact, job-creating and sustainable economic development projects and enterprises.
CEI follows a strict criteria for business lending and financing.
CEI business financing opportunities include:
- Direct loans to start-up, existing and growing Maine small businesses, in amounts ranging from $1,000 to $50,000.
- Venture capital investments in small businesses located in New England and the mid-Atlantic region. Investments range from under $500,000 to over $1 million.
- New Markets Tax Credits are available for investments in targeted distressed communities in Maine, Northern New England, and upstate New York. Select projects with high 3E impact will be considered in other parts of the country. Tax credit investments range from $2 million to $30 million.
- The SBA 504 loan program which provides fixed-rate financing for machinery, equipment and buildings - as much as $4 million for manufacturing.
- Affordable Homeownership, Rental and Supported Housing with loans and development capital from under $500,000 to over $2 million.
To apply for a loan, please click here. To speak with a loan officer, call 207-882-7552.